The Flashback of the 60s, 70s, 80s Greatest Music Hits

Nov 21, 2016

Lesley Gore - It's My Party on '60s Gold (1963)

Lesley Gore - It's My Party on '60s Gold (1963)
"It's My Party" is a pop song recorded by multiple artists since the 1960s. In 1963, American singer Lesley Gore's version hit #1 on the pop and rhythm and blues charts in the United States. It was the first hit single for producer Quincy Jones.


repeat
repeat_one
shuffle
skip_previous
play_circle_filled
pause_circle_filled
skip_next
volume_up




The song lyrically portrays the discomfiture of a teenage girl at her birthday party when her boyfriend Johnny disappears, only to surface in the company of Judy, another girl, who is "wearing his ring," to indicate she's replaced the birthday girl as his love interest.
The song's chorus, "It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to... You would cry too if it happened to you!" became a part of American pop cultural language as a phrase used to describe being utterly humiliated and miserable during an event that is supposed to be a happy occasion.
"It's My Party" is in the key of A major. The song's effectiveness is enhanced by several musical touches producer Quincy Jones incorporated, including Latin-sounding rhythms, double tracked vocals and effective horn parts. Allmusic critic Jason Ankeny wrote of the song, "'It's My Party' remains one of the most vivid evocations of adolescent heartbreak ever waxed — Quincy Jones produced the record, although you'd swear it was Aaron Spelling instead."
Similar Tracks
WLCY Radio Hits
My Boyfriend's Back by The Angels (60s)
Be My Baby by Ronettes
The Loco-Motion by Little Eva
It's In His Kiss (The Shoop Shoop Song) by Betty Everett
Will You Love Me Tomorrow by The Shirelles
Similar Artists
WLCY Radio Hits
Ronettes
Little Peggy March
Dusty Springfield
The Angels (60s)

No comments:

Post a Comment