The Flashback of the 60s, 70s, 80s Greatest Music Hits

Oct 6, 2015

The Chi-Lites - Oh Girl (1972)

The Chi-Lites - Oh Girl (1972)
"Oh Girl" is a single recorded by the soul vocal group, The Chi-Lites and released on Brunswick Records in 1972. Included on the group's 1972 album A Lonely Man, "Oh Girl" centers on a relationship on the verge of break-up. The narrator, portrayed by the song's author Eugene Record, expresses concern that the break-up may prove unbearable for him ("Oh girl/I'd be in trouble if you left me now/'Cause I don't know where to look for love/I just don't know how"), while knowing that staying will be no better ("I could save myself a lot of useless tears/Girl I've got to get away from here"; "Better be on my way, I can't stay here").

repeat
repeat_one
shuffle
skip_previous
play_circle_filled
pause_circle_filled
skip_next
volume_up




"Oh Girl" was the Chi-Lites' first and only number-one single on the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at that position in May 1972 for one week. The single also reached the top position of the Billboard R&B Singles chart the following month, remaining in that position for two weeks. Billboard ranked it as the No. 13 song for 1972. In addition, it reached number fourteen on the UK Singles Chart in July 1972.

No comments:

Post a Comment